In this article we will consider the TOP-3 of the best gaming monitors of the last time, their technical and external characteristics.
Before buying a quality gaming monitor, users have to choose from a huge range of products. Different brands, diagonals, matrixes and additional technologies. In 2016, most manufacturers focused on 4K-displays. Today, the consumer is more interested in WQHD-solutions, which provide an opportunity to protect themselves from problems with the quality of the visual range and the scaling of any software. In our review, the TOP-3 of the best gaming monitors 2017 are presented. Still good?
The above monitor proved to be excellent in the market due to its good technical characteristics. Support for the screen frequency of 144 Hz makes its use the most comfortable and will not leave indifferent even the most demanding customers.
- Equipment. The device is delivered in a package with bright firm polygraphy. The box shows the device itself and indicates its technical characteristics. The kit includes a monitor, a stand, a wire clip and the cables themselves: power, USB, audio and DisplayPort.
- Design of the monitor distinguishes it from among the previous models of the company with a focus on the red color from AMD. The case of this model is made of hard plastic. At the same time, the finish of the screen frames visually resembles polished metal. The frame around the screen is 25 mm from the bottom and 15 mm around the edges. On the screen is an anti-reflective layer of medium density. The stand for the monitor is fixed with a screw, which makes the design easy to disassemble. Control is carried out by means of mechanical buttons, which are displayed on the right side. At dimensions 394х565х245, the monitor weighs only 6,55 kg.
- Periphery. The case of the monitor has a rather thin profile, which caused the transfer of the entire “filling” to a small protrusion located on the rear panel of the device. There are two USB 2.0 ports on it, with which you can connect additional peripherals or power the device (one connector labeled in red, works when the monitor is off and gives an increased current level). The connector panel for this model is quite large – there is HDMI, DVI, VGA, DisplayPort.
- Ergonomics. The screen can be converted to portrait mode or unfolded around the axis, as well as tilted 25 degrees in all planes. Height is adjustable in the range of up to 13 centimeters. In the kit there is also a plastic clip, which fixes the wires connected to the monitor, on the foot of the stand. The diameter of its base is 23 cm, the inner part is rotated.
- Specifications. AOC G2460PF has a 24-inch TN-matrix manufactured by AU Optronics, which was originally calculated at a frequency of 120 Hz, but it can be overclocked to 144 Hz. To do this, you need to connect to the system unit via DVI-D or DisplayPort. The screen resolution is 1920×1080 (Full HD) pixels with a 16: 9 aspect ratio. The maximum allowable brightness level is 350 cd / m2. The field of view horizontally is 170 degrees, and the vertical – 160. The monitor has a good frequency of updating lines and frames – 30-160 kHz and 50-144 Hz, respectively. There is a high-quality LED backlight that completely eliminates the graininess of the image.
- Customize. The OSD menu is at the bottom of the screen. The settings are available in Russian. The toolbar is distributed among several tabs on which you can adjust the contrast, brightness, acceleration and gamma, and activate the power saving mode or game mode. You can adjust the color balance by manually changing or selecting preset presets. As close as possible to the standard factory settings – WARM.
- Testing. While it is rare to meet specialized tests to determine the features of the operation of the FreeSync technology, because of this, the traditional method was used based on the presence of the AMD Radeon video card in the system unit. The activation process is simple and requires minimal skills. The frequency of 144 Hz is activated by means of video cards AMD and NVIDIA. The tested monitor was pleased with the versatility of the connection (end-to-end acoustics and a large set of connectors), as well as the lack of binding to video cards produced by one company. The 144 Hz frequency is stable with a minimum delay.
AOC G2460PG – an excellent gaming monitor with minimal additional functionality and ascetic design, which is suitable not only for avid gamers, but also for ordinary people who use the computer to work and watch video.
Released at the end of last year, the new LG 34UC79G became the first real gaming IPS monitor manufacturer, equipped with a new panel with a frequency of 144 Hz with an allowable resolution of 2560×1080 pixels. This model starts a new degree of development of UWFHD-solutions.
- Set. The monitor is delivered in a black box with an updated design and high-quality printing. The kit consists of an HDMI cable and a DisplayPort, an external box and a power cord, a plastic clip for laying wires, a height lock on the stand, documentation and a software CD. Given the price of the monitor and its positioning on the market, the delivery kit can be called very good.
- Design. When creating the device, the designers of the company did their best, and the result of their work was a spectacular appearance. Most of the elements are made of durable matte plastic of two shades – black and gray, a combination of which, along with broken lines, speaks of its game purpose. The base of the stand is made of metal. The cable laying system is realized with the help of a special clamp, which comes complete and fastened to the foot of the stand. The novelty uses the so-called “frameless” design of the front part of the case – covered with a protective glass that extends beyond the panel, the matrix. With dimensions of 830.5×449.5×279.7 mm, it has a weight of 8.6 kg.
- Periphery. The monitor has only 3 video inputs – two HDMI 2.0 ports and a Display Port version 1.2a. Each of them makes it possible to reach a frequency of 144 Hz, but the use of FreeSync technology is available only on the last interface. To connect to an external speaker system or headphones, the monitor has a 3.5-millimeter audio output, and you can transfer audio directly to the device via the audio input. Work with additional peripherals is provided by two USB 3.0 connectors.
- Ergonomics. A standard monitor stand allows you to tilt it and change the height. There is also a VESA-compatible mount, with which a stand is attached to the display. Ergonomics is limited by the slope of the monitor in the range from -5 to +20 degrees. Changing the height of the screen is available within 12 centimeters. The design is stiff, although there is a slight play in the stand. For maximum adhesion to the working surface, small rubber feet are used.
- Specifications. The monitor boasts a one-of-a-kind 144HZ-matrix AH-IPS, produced by LG Display. The device also has the usual W-LED-backlighting without the use of Flicker-Free and close to the standard sRGB color coverage. The resolution of the 34-inch screen is 2560×1080 pixels, which is the standard of Ultra Wide Full HD (UWFHD). With a 21: 9 aspect ratio, the pixel density is only 82 ppi – the standard for 27-inch models, but very weak for 34 inches. The curvature of the panel is 3800R. The maximum brightness of the monitor, according to the documentation in the kit, is 250 cd / m2 with a viewing angle of 178 degrees.
- Customize. The monitor is controlled using a five-way joystick, located in the center of the bottom panel of the device. Near it is a power LED, which can be switched off. The treatment of clicks is instantaneous. All the shortcomings, which were previously inherent in LG monitors, are corrected in this model. With any control joystick action, a circle with 5 sectors appears in the center of the screen, among which there is a quick access menu: turning off the monitor, hiding the OSD panel, enabling the game submenu and selecting the signal source. Adjusting the volume of the built-in speakers is also available from this menu.
Given that the model has recently appeared on the market, in the near future one can expect a noticeable decrease in its value. This monitor will be a good purchase even for very demanding users.
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
ROG Swift PG279Q – gaming monitor of the highest level, equipped with an IPS-matrix and supports a refresh rate of up to 165 Hz. In this model, a huge number of modern functions designed to improve the comfort of the game.
- Set. ASUS PG279Q comes in a large black box, which contains several photos of the monitor and lists its main features. The package includes the device itself, 4 cables (power, DisplayPort, HDMI and USB), user manual and a driver and instruction CD.
- Design is made in the modified style of the PG278Q model, which was released last year and belongs to the Republic Of Gamers series. The appearance of the device in question fully corresponds to the concept of ROG. A new matrix, which is covered at the edges by a thin layer of black aluminum, gives a “frameless” effect. This solution is now only used by ASUS and it looks more impressive than models that do not have such overlays. In the process of manufacturing the monitor used high-quality dark gray plastic. The beveled edges of the curly stand are flat and do not contain any drawings or markings. The central column is attached to the monitor by means of conventional screws, which can also be used for a VESA-compatible bracket. The mechanism of fast connection, unfortunately, is not provided. The cable management system is realized by means of a triangular slot located at the bottom of the central post. This model uses a matrix with a semi-matte surface, which has good anti-glare properties. However, its structure, unlike full-fledged protective films, is not so rough, so that the crystalline effect is less pronounced and invisible to most consumers. Dimensions of the device are 619.77×552.53×237.9 mm with a weight of 7 kilograms.
- Periphery. For connection of additional devices, two USB 3.0 ports are provided, as well as 3.5 mm audio output and input. There is a speaker system for two speakers of 2 watts.
- Ergonomics of the monitor does not cause any complaints. A full range of possibilities is available: turn, tilt (from -5 to +15 degrees), change in height (by 11 centimeters), as well as a flip into portrait mode. Due to the excellent centering quality of the case, ergonomics has suffered a little, but it deserves a solid 4 out of 5 possible.
- Specifications. The ASUS PG279Q monitor is based on the AHVA-matrix (IPS-type) manufactured by AU Optronics (M270Q008 V0). It is an 8-bit 27-inch module with a screen resolution of 2560 × 1440 pixels and a W-LED-backlight. The aspect ratio of this model is 16: 9. Currently, the specified matrix is used only in this monitor. The declared maximum brightness of the model is 350 cd / m2, the viewing angles are 178 degrees, and the response time, which was measured by the GtG method, is only 4 ms. The monitor is equipped with ULMB and NVIDIA G-Sync technology. The operating range is 30-165 Hz. Ultra Low Motion Blur technology can only be used when the monitor is operating at 85, 100 or 120 Hz. The joint work of both of the above technologies is not envisaged in connection with completely different principles of action. The native vertical frequency of the matrix is 144 Hz, but in order to achieve this frequency, the system must have a video card of a level not lower than NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960.
- Customize. You can control the monitor with four trapezoidal keys, as well as one five-way joystick, which are located on the rear panel of the device. On the lower edge of the dislocated a white LED power. One of the four buttons is responsible for turning the monitor on, the other – cancels the previous action and exits the partition, and the two remaining ones activate the game timer / customizable sight and switch the Turbo modes (60, 120, 144 and 165 Hz). Navigating through the menus is done at the expense of the joystick. This is one of the most successful ways to work with the OSD menu. Time to get used to minimum, you can manage without problems day and night, everything is accessible and easy.
The new AHVA matrix allowed ASUS designers and engineers to use the best developments in the design of monitors. PG279Q – one of the few monitors of the company with a pseudo-frame design of the case.
Each of the above devices, which is included in the TOP-3 of the best gaming monitors of 2017, has its pluses and minuses, but nevertheless it is perfect for fans to spend the evenings for new games. The high screen resolution and frame rate only improve the impression of the monitors.